Tuesday, May 15, 2012

glam travel wear

I used to travel exclusively in clothes that made me look a little homeless. It made sense to me that since I was going to nap for an entire flight, I might as well wear something jammies-equivalent. I usually wore sweatpants and a hoodie, and on one particular transatlantic flight, a horrible stocking cap that made me resemble a robber. And then I watched Tim Gunn's Guide to Style. He has a list of ten essential elements for a successful wardrobe. Among them is a "sweatsuit alternative": something comfortable and casual that doesn't look sloppy. He made me realize how easy it is to step it up in the cute-but-comfy department. And when you run into an ex-boyfriend on a connecting flight, you can be this put-together traveler who looks kind of glam even though really you were snoozing with your mouth open on your travel pillow.

Maxi dresses are amazing for this. They are breezy and stretchy, and you can sit however you want on the plane and stay covered. A hair wrap makes a messy bun deliberate, and wedges are a great item to travel with, but take up too much room in your suitcase (so you have to wear them ;). Top it off with a jean jacket and one piece of jewelry (you don't want to take off ten accessories to go through security), and you're jet-set!
dress, jacket, hair wrap, necklace, belt, wedges
Outfit total: $122.94

No comments:

Post a Comment