Friday, May 11, 2012

engagement shoot: lessa and josh

My sweet friends, Lessa and Josh, are getting married this fall, and they're about to take engagement photos. Los Angeles has lots of beautiful photo ops, and this couple has picked two really great ones: for a day shoot, the desert gardens at the Huntington Library and for the evening, a shoot at LACMA's Urban Light installation

The desert gardens are full every color of green you can think of, so I kept green out of the color palette altogether. Corals still feel like a part of that world-- it's the color of desert flowers--so that is what I was drawn to put on Lessa. I layered her with a pale blush blazer, taupe accessories, and one pop of contrasting color. I like in engagement photos when it looks like the couple fits together, without wearing matching Barbie-Ken ensembles. I found a navy and coral plaid shirt for Josh, to tie him into Lessa a bit. Cuffed chinos, a shawl collar cardigan, and slip on sneakers finish off his casual day look. His shirt is short sleeved and her dress is sleeveless, so if those top layers come off, there is another variety of summery photos to be done as well. 
lady: dress, blazer, necklace, belt, wedges
gent: shirt, cardigan, chinos, sneakers 
For the night shoot at LACMA, Lessa wanted to wear this long pleated chiffon skirt in black. Because the exhibit is all about light, I wanted silhouettes for both of them that would be striking. To balance Lessa's floaty skirt, I kept her top fitted with a belt to cinch at the waist. I like that this look is kind of bohemian in print and accessories, but the silhouette looks classic and fancy. With Josh, I wanted him to also have a classic look: really simple black blazer on white shirt, but to stay with Lessa's more boho look, I kept him in dark jeans and black sneakers. His gingham tie gives a little nod to her corset's black and white print. Can't wait to see how the photos turn out!
gent: shirt, blazer, tie, jeans, belt, sneakers
lady: corset top, skirt, belt, sandals, earrings, bracelet 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment